The Law, like Hagar, is brought into the house because of what happened in Egypt
- Law added because of transgressions according to Galatians 3:19
The Law, like Hagar, would produce carnal children when the relationship is wrong
- The promise is to Abram and Sarai, so this is an act of unbelief.
- Hagar is like the law given from Mt. Sinai. So Ishmael is a type of a Jew trying to gain righteousness by the law.
- Conceived in unbelief – Romans 9:31-32
The Law, like Hagar, could only take her children so far
- Hagar gets to a point in the wilderness when she cannot provide life to her child.
- Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
- Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
- Galatians 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
The Law, like Hagar, is put in its place after the promise is come
- Galatians 3:24-25 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
- When the promise comes, what is carnal is cast out. Hagar is the law. Sarah says verse 30, but the LORD said the scriptures say that.
- That is Hebrews