Text: 1 Corinthians 11:23-32
The Lord’s supper is going back to square one. It is remembering and resetting your relationship with Jesus Christ. It is a self examination for someone who is saved, identifying as a Christian, in light of the Lord as their passover lamb.
Substitutionary death of Jesus Christ (vss 23-26)
- This is my body broken for you…
- Jesus Christ’s body and blood become your body and blood in the eyes of God the Father to all them that receive Jesus Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
- Paper illustration
- Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
- Mystery of the body of Christ is as much about substituting Christ’s body and blood for a sinner’s in the sight of God
- Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
- “In Christ” – Ephesians 1:3 – …
- Ephesians 5:22-33
- Remember Christ’s body
- This is done in remembrance of the body and blood of Jesus Christ.
- The body of the Jesus Christ ascended into heaven and is now at the right hand of God. Hebrews 10:12-13 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; 13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
- So this same body that was crucified, dead, buried, raised up, ascended up into heaven, will also return to this earth.
- Until then your life is hid with Jesus Christ Colossians 3:1-3
- 1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
- Philippians 3:20-21 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
Participants examine themselves in light of the body of Christ (vss 27-29)
- If you’re saved, according to God Jesus Christ’s body and blood have replaced yours as far as your standing before God. But if the temporary time you have left doesn’t match the life of Christ then those areas of your life now fall under condemnation along with the world they are a part of.
- Unworthily means:
- Guilt and condemnation associated when you fail to realize your body is no longer your own. You are a member of the body of Jesus Christ. If you’re saved, your life is no longer the body you live in.
- Unexamined in the light of the body of Jesus Christ.
- Undisciplined in the light of the body of Jesus Christ.
- Unyielded to the Spirit of God in the light of the body of Jesus Christ.
- Romans 8:1, 10-13
Consequences of the unexamined life (vss 30-32)
- The body of yours that was not judged by you is judged by God.
- When we don’t accept that our bodies are the Lord’s and we are members of His body, then God judges the body.