As the masses of people walk by, continue on their way, busy with their lives, doing what they want. Someone stands by the road with warning signs, speaking out about the danger of the direction the crowd is going. The constant cursing, fornication, adultery, lying, gossip, idolatry of athletes. She tells the passing people they’re heading for sudden destruction, but their lives of pleasure and success tell them all a different story. They’re headed for destruction because of their sin. But the success, ease, and leisure in this world betray their end.
Public warning (vss 20-21)
- Wisdom is characterized as she. Not masculine, not forceful, but gentle and vocal.
- James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
- Wisdom is the unpopular and contrary voice.
- Wisdom has a public ministry.
How long (vs 22)
- How long do you want to be ignorant of the road you’re on?
- How long are you going to make fun of those who fear God?
- How long will you forget God? Hating knowledge means God’s judgment on your sin is just. You can’t plead ignorance. When you were confronted with the knowledge of God you hated it.
- How long? When will you turn around?!
Wisdom poured out (vs 23)
- Repentance. Quit going in the direction of destruction. Wisdom can be embraced when you turn from the direction of your sin.
- Poured out spirit is making known the words of wisdom.
- If you want to hear, you have to stop and listen.
- And then to avoid danger, quit walking toward dangerous sin.