Text: Matthew 3:13-17
In John’s baptism of repentance, people are coming confessing their sins, so that tells you that those being baptized are not infants. They are adults who have knowledge of their sin. In fact, there is not one single infant baptism in the entire Bible.
Place among sinners
- Here are sinners coming to be baptized because they’re repenting and confessing their sins and here comes the Lord Jesus Christ in the same group. Now, what is John’s objection to this? His objection is that the Lord Jesus Christ doesn’t belong in that group.
- …fulfil all righteousness... What does it mean?
- Do what’s right. No exceptions.
- Jesus Christ takes his place among sinners.
- Romans 8:3-4 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
- John’s Baptism was to show Israel how God would forgive sins
- John 1:29-31 …therefore am I come baptizing with water…
- John the Baptist doesn’t come as a priest sacrificing animals, he came marking those that sought forgiveness from God. And he came marking those for forgiveness because forgiveness was about to offered by God in the form of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Hebrews 10:4, 11 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. … 11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
- Notice how he says it in Mark 1:4 …for the remission of sins…
- Forgiveness of sins would be purchased by the Lamb of God shedding His blood. Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Presence of the Holy Spirit
- John 1:32-33 says the dove was a sign to John the Baptist
- But why a dove? What if the Spirit of God came out like a bear? Here’s why a dove. There are four characteristics of a dove in the Bible that give light on why the Holy Spirit was like a dove on Jesus
- Presence of fruitfulness
- The turtle dove appears to man during a time of fruitfulness in the earth.
- Genesis 8:10-12
- Song of Solomon 2:12 – Turtle is a reference to turtle dove
- Presence of rest – Psalm 55:6
- Presence of mourning for sin – Isaiah 59:11, Ezekiel 7:16 (Mourning Dove)
- Presence of good will – Matthew 10:16 …harmless as doves…
Preferred by the Father
- Approved by God the Father
- You and I are not approved by the Father. We have to be accepted in Jesus Christ who is approved by the Father.
- Jesus is thirty years old when he is baptized according to Luke 3:21-23. What is the significance of thirty years old?
- Numbers 4:3, 23, 30, 35, 39, 40, 43, 47. It marked the beginning of ministry service for the priesthood.
- Genesis 41:46 – beginning of Joseph’s public service
- 2 Samuel 5:4 – beginning of David’s public service