Text: Matthew 5:14-16
City on a hill is Jerusalem, or Zion
- Ye are the light of the world… (vs 14)
- God made the nation of Israel a light.
- Romans 9:4-5 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises; 5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
- Romans 3:1-4, the chief advantage of the Jews was that they were given the words of God. But what if they don’t believe. Doesn’t make any difference. They were given the words of God. The word is nigh thee even in thy mouth. Jesus Christ came to the synagogue and preached from the scriptures in the synagogue.
- 2 Peter 1:16-21
- Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path…
Candlesticks and candles
- Neither do men… (vs 15)
- Light associated with life
- John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
- John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
- …candle of the wicked shall be put out.
- Candles of light associated with life.
- Eternal flame at JFK memorial
- Did you ever wonder why you put candles on a week to represent years of life? How about this, did you ever wonder why you blew the candles out? And why you were told to make a wish BEFORE you blew the candles out?
- Candlestick is a local church
- Revelation 1:20
- So the Lord takes a candle and puts it in a candlestick.
Shining the light
- Let your light so shine… (vs 15)
- Acts 13:44-47
- Defining good works-
- First defined by who gets the glory for them. (Paul is going around to establish his own righteousness in a religious way. How about someone who advertises their giving? Is that not someone trying to establish righteousness among their friends?)
- John 10:32-39
- Ephesians 2:10
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- Titus 2:7-14
- 2:8 sound speech, so no filthy language and jokes. When you try to say something good about church or the Lord the hearer thinks the Lord is cool with your filth and consequently their filth as well.
- Walk in the light
- 2 Corinthians 4:4-6 – light of the glorious gospel
- Ephesians 5:8, 10-14 – children of light, reprove works done in darkness
- 1 John 1:6-10 – walk in light is allowing his word (vs 10) to find sin