Text: Psalm 63
Thirst for the Lord (vss 1-4)
- …my soul… (vs 1)
- Desire is like thirst
- It’s personal – my God…
- Seek early
- Early in life
- Early in decisions
- Early in the day
- Seek God’s power
- Seek God’s glory
- Exodus 33:18-19 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. 19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.
- Fall short of the glory of God…
- Because… (vss 3-4)
- Just like when your thirsty and a dry parched mouth touches water and it’s so refreshing. So it is when David’s mouth touches the praise of the Lord, his soul is refreshed to praise the Lord.
- Reason for praise is lovingkindness
- It lasts longer
- It guarantees a happy eternity
- Resolution of praise is a decision, not a personality trait or a specific calling.
Satisfied in the Lord (vss 5-7)
- My soul… (vs 5)
- Filled with goodness
- Satisfied soul.
- John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
- Compared to the vexed soul of Lot.
- Filled by meditation.
- In order for water to be satisfying I have to take it in. In order for the Lord to be satisfying I have to take in his words.
- Filling that has been experienced – because thou hast been my help…
Following the Lord (vss 8-11)
- My soul… (vs 8)
- Follow closely – followeth hard after thee… (stay close)
- Follow with God’s help – thy right hand upholdeth me. (with the Lord’s help)
- Follow to the end in joy – the king shall rejoice in thee… (don’t quit before you get there)