Text: Colossians 1:15
Image of God versus image of Adam
- Make man in our image; Father, Son, Holy Ghost, body, spirit, soul. (Genesis 1:26)
- You’re born with physical characteristics that resemble your parents. She’s got her dad’s eyes. He’s got his mom’s nose. He’s got his dad’s hands.
- Genesis 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth. So Seth bears the characteristics of Adam because he is born to Adam. But Seth also inherited the corruption of sin in his body from his father. He is conceived in sin as David says, Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
- God formed Adam of the dust into the image of God, as opposed to the image of an elephant or dog or cat. But Adam was not born of God, he was formed out of dust. Seth was then born of Adam with the same physical form and the same corruption in that physical form.
Image of God by birth
- Adam sinned, his body was corrupted and then Adam had a child named Seth who would visibly be in the image of God, but that image inherited the corruption passed on from Adam.
- Matthew 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
- Adam was MADE in God’s image, but Jesus Christ was BORN in God’s image.
- Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. We confuse ourselves when we try to apply this to us because we know we’re sinful. This verse is talking about the Lord Jesus Christ being born of God and without sin. Look at the context in 1 John 3:7-9.
- (Also address cult teaching about Jesus Christ being a created god)
- 1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
- If you’re born in Adam, your flesh will die. You don’t even have to be charged with sin to die in Adam. Babies die in Adam apart from their own personal sin regularly.
- In Christ is life, outside of Christ there is no life.
- Ephesians 1:9-10 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: 10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
- 1 Corinthians 15:42-49
- Justified souls are determined to become the image of God – Romans 8:28-30 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
Applying the image of God
- Colossians 3:8-11 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: 11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.