Text: Exodus 29:1-37
This is the seven-day ceremonial process by which the priesthood will now be dedicated to the LORD. It is absolutely tied to Christianity in type. It’s explicitly said to be a shadow of a spiritual priesthood.
Priesthood will stand at the door and be washed (vs 4)
- Bring Aaron and his sons to the door of the tabernacle and wash them with water.
- A ceremonial washing for the priests at the door of Meeting. John Baptist would perform this ministry in a very illustrative way by ceremonially cleansing a priesthood in the Jordan River.
- This is why John baptized Jesus Christ to fulfill righteousness. Jesus Christ is the great High Priest.
- Then those who followed in John’s baptism would identify with this priesthood.
The High Priest is clothed first (vss 5-6)
- The garments that were described by the sewing patterns are put on Aaron first.
Then the High Priest is anointed (vs 7)
- You need to think of anointing as just pouring or like putting perfume on. It’s taken to mean something spiritual every time but that’s not always the case. James talks about anointing with oil and praying for someone in the same way Paul talks about taking a little wine for your stomach’s sake.
- Jesus would be anointed by the Holy Spirit to preach the gospel in the same way the High Priest was anointed with perfumes to bring God’s message to the people.
Then the other priests will be clothed (vss 8-9)
- Then the priests. So the priests will be dressed.
- Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
- Revelation 19:14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
- 2 Corinthians 5:1-5
The bull’s blood will sanctify the altar (vss 10-14)
One ram will be a sweet savor to the LORD (vss 15-18)
- As the smoke rises up and the smell of BBQ goes up, the physical properties of smoke rising and the smell of meat cooking all head upward toward the throne of God.
The other ram’s blood will consecrate the priests (vss 19-20)
The wave offering (vss 21-25)
The heave offering (vss 26-34)
- The heave offering was taking a portion of what would eventually be eaten by the priests and lifting it to the LORD as an expression of gratitude.
- You’ll find similar acts in the New Testament where Paul talks about lifting holy hands.
- Bring a basket of unleavened bread, cakes, and wafers along with an unblemished young bull, and two unblemished rams. The bread items are all bread, but they differ in texture from crispy to flaky and flavor from sweet to savory.