Text: Romans 2:17-29
Paul outlines the self-righteousness of the Jews (vss 17-20)
- The Jews believe they are superior and eternally secure with God because they have the law. So Paul is explaining the mindset of a Jew. Something he is very familiar with.
- James 3, the entire chapter, says very similar things about the Jews who believe they are teachers.
- 1 Timothy 1:5-11
The hypocrisy of the Jews (vss 21-24)
- Paul explains one of the things he realized about the law later in life. He realized the law was pointing out sin working inside of his mind and heart. So Paul applies it to the Jews asking rhetorically whether they realize that they do the same things they judge others for.
- Isaiah 52:5 God’s name is blasphemed because of the Jews
Knowledge of these things doesn’t justify you before God or man (vss 25-27)
The new covenant, neither Jew nor Gentile (vss 28-29)
- Circumcision of the heart
- Cut away the carnal desires and works of the flesh out of the heart. It isn’t an unexplainable work of the Holy Spirit of God, it is a decision and multiple decisions you make based on the words of God. And it is an old illustration from Moses.
- Deuteronomy 10:16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.
- Jeremiah 4:4 Circumcise yourselves to the LORD, and take away the foreskins of your heart, ye men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem: lest my fury come forth like fire, and burn that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings.
- Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
- In the spirit
- Hebrews 8:9-10 → Jeremiah 31:31-33
- Laws are written in people; 2 Corinthians 3:2-16
- Worship in spirit and truth in John 4:23
- New heart
- Ezekiel 11:19-20 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them a heart of flesh: 20 That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.
- Lk 11:39-44 praise of men versus praise of God